Sunday, May 20, 2007

This work is called Coil. It was done for my exhibition in France. It captured a lot of interest. It´s funny because it was murder to make and I must of taken it apart tow or three times. It is based on drawings from overs 8 years ago based on a harbour scene in Ullapool, Scotland. I had been there with my friend Jennifer and it was a marvellous trip where we enjoyed exploring and sketching sessions.
We sat in between moored boats, and sketched an assortment of objects such as rope coils, fishing nets, crates, ship masts etc. Years later I created Coil, using applique, printing and stitch n´slash techniques. I didnt want to sell the piece which was perhaps silly seeing as it seemed popular!. It didnt stop there though... my family in Holland wanted to buy it !... my parents in law wanted it!...so I kind of left it to lie for a while, hoping the problem would blow over cause I didnt want to try and recreate Coil 2. Two years later I decided to gift it to my parents in law as they have been very supportive to me since I moved to Germany. They are now proudly displaying Coil to their friends & neighbours. I also did a sketch explaining what each piece of the design is with photogaphs too!.

No comments: